The Kona solids I ordered last week for a project in the design stage have arrived. Here they are:
I thought i had ordered half a yard of each of these, but I apparently ordered a yard and a half of the fabric to the far right. I’m kind of glad that I made the mistake because I really like it.
From left to right these fabrics (with their code numbers) are: Charcoal 1071, Medium Grey 1223, Ash 1007, Oyster 1268, Mustard 1240, Straw 186, Moss 1238,and Sweet Pea 201.
It’s hard to judge how these colors will look as yardage just looking at the Kona sample cards. You more or less just have to order them knowing that you will eventually use them even if they aren’t quite right for the project you are working on at the moment. The medium gray, for instance, turned out to have quite a blue cast to it, and the charcoal is probably too dark to be used in the project I am planning. I’ll find something to do with it though.
I went to the trouble of taking photographs of my patterned fabrics on top of each of the solids, but I will only show the Sweet Pea here:
The sad truth is that this photograph simply does not do justice to the extent to which the Sweet Pea fabric harmonizes with these three prints, especially the scallop fabric on the left.
Soon I will cut a couple strips of each of these fabrics and baste up some hexagons and start pushing them around to see what I can come up with. I’ve reserved strips of the scallop fabric to feature prominently on the back of the piece. The Sweet Pea fabric will be included on the back as well.
Now on to the new flower garden quilt…
Earlier this week I blogged about some flower units I created on a car ride to and from a visit with my mother. Even though I have been working with hexagons for awhile I have never made any flowers. The details of my thought processes as I created those units can be found here. At the end of that blog post I started to think about how I might utilize this fabric, which I had previously proclaimed to be ugly.
What a victory it would be to design a quilt around a fabric which I found to be challenging. I decided to pair it with another batik and create a flower with a maroon center.
I’ve made 21 of them already, all of them completed this week.
I’ve cut what I have remaining of the yardage for the two batik fabrics to see how far it will stretch. The limiting factor is the brown batik because I have less of it than the other batik. I’ve got enough to make thirty more flowers. I’ll get them finished before I give any more thought to how this piece is going to go together. I will say that I am leaning heavily toward using hunter green in the combination, but that should come as no surprise.
I am linking back to Life Under Quilts as usual. If you visit over there you will see what Jessica has worked on this week, and you can also click the links at the bottom to see the work of the others who link back. Those of you who have come here through the Monday Morning Star Count linkup might enjoy these other post I put up since last week:
and incase you didn’t follow the link earlier in the post, you might also like: