Here are hexagons 101 through 110.
This Carol is cut from the second section of the panel fabric. The mottled gray segment of the pattern lends an organic feel to an otherwise mechanical design.
This Carol is cut from the second section of the panel fabric as well. I like the way the mottled gray creates a circle near the center of the block. I might use this hexagon for the center of a star using triangles of the green mottled fabric for triangles making up the outer portion of the star. I am planning to have a number of these stars scattered across the surface of the finished quilt.
This Doris is cut from the running horses fabric. I like the star shape formed at the center of the block. The star is made from the mane of the rust colored horse.
This Carol is cut from the running horses fabric as well. The central motif resembles a Celtic design element.
This Carol is cut from the jumping horses fabric. I am not at all satisfied with the way it turned out. I will probably put this block on a reject pile and use it to experiment with the joining of blocks using triangles. I have other blocks that are not favorites that I can use in the experiment.
This Doris is cut from the running horses fabric. I think that the central light gray area calls too much attention to itself. However, I think that it may work well enough with the other blocks when it is in with a crowd of blocks. When it gets into the final quilt the light center may not be so dominant. I did learn something from this block. Don’t isolate a very small contrasting bit of color in the center of a Doris block. I was sorry I did.
The central diamonds of this Sharon were cut from the rust mane fabric. The outer diamonds were cut from the large horse head fabric. I like the way the rust fabric coordinates with certain portions of the large horse head fabric. I also like the way the eyes of the horse appear very close to the border of the block. On of the things I like about this block is that the two different shapes are so close in hue and value that the block appears to be more of a solid from a distance. It will be a good place for the eye to rest from the busy blocks.
This Kerry is cut from the second section of the panel fabric. Both of these shapes were cut from areas that were left over from a six layer stack after other shapes were cut. In a sense these shapes are cut from “throwaway” pieces of fabric. I would not have chosen to make these cuts except that the fabric had been so depleted of interesting areas, and it was necessary to cut the shapes that still fit.
The inner diamonds of this Sharon were cut from the rust mane fabric. The outer half hexagon shapes were cut from the large horse head fabric. Here again we see how well the rust mane fabric coordinates with certain portions of the large horse head fabric. I like the way the blue is brought into this design along the edge of the block. I have a limited amount of rust mane fabric left, and may need to order more of it for this project.
The outer shapes of this Sonja were cut from the large horse head fabric. This was planned as a Kerry block, but there was not an area large enough to cut the half hexagons needed. So I pieced the half hexagon shapes from diamonds and triangles. The central diamonds were cut from the second portion of the panel fabric.