Since my last progress report I have completed the four corners of the quilt top.

I started each corner by creating the framework of hexagons behind which the solid hunter green fabric would be appliquéd.

I cut the pieces of solid fabric as rectangles. I made them large enough so they could be pinned with the grain of the fabric matching the vertical direction of the quilt top.

When I was pinning the last piece of solid fabric I got the brilliant idea of taping the fabric to the table to smooth it into place when I did the pinning.  It was possible to smooth the fabric without taping it as I did with the first three corners, but taping the fabric helped considerably with the final corner. I wish I had thought of it earlier.

Below we see the solid fabric from the back of the quilt top after it has been pinned into place, but not yet sewn.

Below we see the fabric pinned into place, and shown from the front.

Below we see the solid fabric from the back of the quilt top after it has been sewn into place, and not yet trimmed.  It may be hard to see the stitching.  The row of hexagons with paper still in place at the top are the very top of the quilt.  You can see how these hexagons run parallel to the grain of the fabric.


Below we see the fabric after it has been trimmed.



Below we finally we see the nearly finished quilt top on a king sized bed from two viewpoints.  As you may recall, this quilt has been designed for a queen sized bed, but I am showing it here so more of the surface area is viewable.

Whether the quilt top is finished or not will depend on my choice of binding method.  I am currently working on a large sample piece to test one of the binding methods I am considering.  That sample piece is going to be a table runner for the dining room when it is finished, and it will also be a means through which I will experiment with quilting designs for this bed quilt.