Since my last progress report I have added the hunter green borders to the last three and a half diamonds.  This brings my finished diamond count to eight.  This work required 21 hours of effort this week.

I had to tempt Lori off of my pile of diamonds with some kitty treats in order to arrange the diamonds on the king sized bed downstairs.  The king sized bed is actually two standard twins on one bed frame. That makes it shorter than a king sized bed by six inches.  This bed is in is our guest bedroom, but its primary function is as a staging area for my quilting work.  I don’t have a design wall yet.  This quilt is going to reside on a queen sized bed when it is finished.  I’ll be auditioning the work in process on that bed next week after the diamonds have been joined.  That will give me a better idea of how much “filling out” of the borders I will need to do. The king sized bed offers more surface area for staging than the queen, however, which is why I am showing the diamonds there now.

The white quilt on the bed is one that I made during my first act in fiber arts.  It was made in the Spring of 1975 in a crafts course I took at Kutztown University. I was completing my undergraduate degree in art education at the tie.  The quilt is nearly 38 years old now. I’ll be featuring that quilt in a future post as part of a series I am going to call “First Act Friday”. It will showcase the few quilts that I completed in the late seventies and early eighties before giving up quilting for over 25 years.  That’s a quarter of quilting inactivity.

When the hunter green borders butt up against each other, and the basting threads are finally removed, the green borders will create a strong design element which will set off the diamonds from each other.  Hunter green will feature prominently in the borders as well.  I just don’t know how yet.

I will admit that I have moved ahead significantly in the stitching together of the diamonds, but I will give no details or photographs of that work yet.  I am not counting that work toward this week, but will add it all up for next week and present the visual evidence in my next progress post.  I have no doubt that I will have all the diamonds joined within the week since I am already about halfway done.  Here is a visual reminder of how nice the hunter green looks without the basting threads.


I am linking back to the Monday Morning Star Count at Life Under Quilts.